December 6, 2023
National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
Care, Healing, and Justice: Addressing Transmisogyny and Ending Gender-Based Violence for All
Please note that registration is required to attend the in-person event, and space is limited.
On December 6, U of T joins communities across Canada in remembering the 14 women killed in a devastating act of misogyny at the engineering school at Montreal’s École Polytechnique in 1989.
Please note: The virtual event will include closed captioning. If you require other accessibility accommodations, let us know via email. If you are attending the in-person event, registration is required in-advance.
If you would like to watch the livestream of the event in-person and participate in a decompression activity at UTSC, you’re welcome to join us from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Join us on Dec. 6 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. ET in-person at the St. George Campus or from 12:30 p.m. – 2:20 p.m. ET via livestream.
All students, staff, faculty, and librarians are welcome to attend this tri-campus event to mark the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women. Our program includes:
- In-Person Only: Sign-In Opens at 11:30 a.m.
- Please arrive between 11:30 a.m. and 12 p.m. to facilitate sign-in (registration for the in-person event is required in advance)
- In-Person Only: Welcome Lunch, 12 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- In-Person and Virtual: Opening Remarks and Welcome, 12:30 p.m. – 12:50 p.m.
- In-Person and Virtual: Awards Presentation and Memorial, 12:50 p.m. – 1:20 p.m.
- In-Person and Virtual: Keynote Presentation, 1:20 p.m. – 2:10 p.m.
- In-Person and Virtual: Closing Reflections, 2:10 p.m. – 2:20 p.m.
- In-Person: Optional Decompression Activity, 2:20 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.
This memorial, led by the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering, will honour the lives of women impacted by gender-based violence. It will include a musical performance.
Keynote Presentation: care, healing, and justice: addressing transmisogyny and ending gender-based violence for all
This event will include a keynote presentation from a Toronto-based writer and performer on the rise in transmisogyny and violence against queer and trans women globally. Together, we will co-create a space for healing, and move towards meaningful, intersectional action that prioritizes an end to gender-based violence for all.
This event is co-hosted by the Anti-Racism and Cultural Diversity Office, the Community Safety Office, the Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Office at UTM, the Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Office at UTSC, the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering, Hart House, The Division of People Strategy, Equity, & Culture, the Institutional Equity Office, the Sexual and Gender Diversity Office, and the Sexual Violence Prevention and Support Centre.